• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluetooth, I hear noise

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
i recently bought a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones , they can be used wired or via Bluetooth.

Apone using the wireless method I noticed 'noise' straightaway being transmitted by the phones when no music was being played. Sounded like 'processing' noise, computer like... subsequently I used them wired and comparing both connection methods with a musical program subjectivity I feel wired sounds best along with it being silent with no musical program .

What's going on here then? I had no expectation of noise with the wireless option and was thusly surprised to hear it.. what am I hearing and why?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I can explain the fidelity issue which is due to lossy codec that is used due to limited bandwidth of (standard) Bluetooth. There are better profiles that support better codecs but I suspect your Bose must be using the default codec. As an aside, the Bluetooth committee asked for a free codec and only Philips stepped forward with their codec and that is what got selected.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Maybe it's the noise cancelling part making noise.

Can you turn off that function?

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Maybe it's the noise cancelling part making noise.

Can you turn off that function?
No, I don't believe you can.. however I presume the noise cancelling element is engaged when utilising the wired configuration and there is no noise then.

Maybe the noise cancelling and Bluetooth combined . TBH Iv heard similar noise when using wireless before as I now remember. With the chord Hugo, clearly there was this computer noise when using that wirelessly too.

I'd forgotten all about that.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Noise like that is common in poor analog+digital implementations but I didn't think Bose was in that category. Bluetooth is a digital transmissions system so I don't expect it to be noisy like other RF wireless analog systems.

SPFC

I have the wired only version of Bose's noise cancelling headphones, which are great for airplane traveling. However, there is always a hissing noise when the noise cancelling feature is turned on. It is hard to hear it in a noisy airplane, but easy to hear in a quiet environment.

Top Bottom