• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power Cords

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
You guys are killing me! Seriously, it is comforting to know there exists in this forum a group of knowledgeable people. grounded with intellectual honesty and curiosity, to allow rationality to govern both methodology and outcome.

I've posted this before, but to repeat myself, here it goes. The cable manufacturers seemingly never will publish or even participate in rational, scientifically sound testing to prove their products make a difference. They apparently don't need to, since there is a large, probably majority, part of the audiophile pool, who just believe, and science is not allowed in the door. In other contexts it is called faith.

I view this as a missed business opportunity. There remains a substantial part of the audiophile community who would be willing to spend if, but only if, there was credible evidence to support claims of audible difference. Even if, e.g., blind testing failed to demonstrate a difference, the faith based crowd still would purchase, so there is no or virtually no risk of losing that market segment. OTOH, there is a whole new market to be gained, the market of people represented by members of this sane forum.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I view this as a missed business opportunity

Maybe "they" should start marketing high performance building wire, since the lengths are so great.

Why stop at the outlet?

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
upload_2017-3-11_15-27-28.png

I'll pass...

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys are killing me! Seriously, it is comforting to know there exists in this forum a group of knowledgeable people. grounded with intellectual honesty and curiosity, to allow rationality to govern both methodology and outcome.

I've posted this before, but to repeat myself, here it goes. The cable manufacturers seemingly never will publish or even participate in rational, scientifically sound testing to prove their products make a difference. They apparently don't need to, since there is a large, probably majority, part of the audiophile pool, who just believe, and science is not allowed in the door. In other contexts it is called faith.

I view this as a missed business opportunity. There remains a substantial part of the audiophile community who would be willing to spend if, but only if, there was credible evidence to support claims of audible difference. Even if, e.g., blind testing failed to demonstrate a difference, the faith based crowd still would purchase, so there is no or virtually no risk of losing that market segment. OTOH, there is a whole new market to be gained, the market of people represented by members of this sane forum.

Knowing what I ( we?) know now... I don't see anything to gain in term of SQ by purchasing audiophile PC ... Once the AWG is sufficient the rest is up to the power supply.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ok, I'm on my way to a dedicated 20A outlet so I can expand my soundstage, get blacker blacks, lift veils, reduce noise, and so on:
Better get ready for some drudgery. I tried running a short segment of that for my RV and quickly gave up because it is so darn stiff. Went with marine, stranded wire to save my sanity (and have better product to boot).

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Looking at the outlet traces again...

I see evidence for low-order harmonics, but not much for spiky "noise"

upload_2017-3-11_18-16-43.png

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Better get ready for some drudgery. I tried running a short segment of that for my RV and quickly gave up because it is so darn stiff. Went with marine, stranded wire to save my sanity (and have better product to boot).

Well, it's a single story straight shot - breaker panel and outlet on the same exterior wall.

60' distance + vertical drops.

I should be able to get into the breaker box with the same entry, and will probably just disconnect the old branch and re-use the box in the wall, unless I get real ambitious.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Reactions: trl
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Regarding "big" capacitors...

I took a picture of the inside of my amps when they arrived 6 years ago... Time for a dusting now, I suppose.

I was a bit surprised to see only three 80V 6800μf per rail (Nichicon), expecting some monstrous honkers in there, considering the 1400W 2Ω rating...

Hey, check out those bus bars going to the speaker outputs. No wimpy cables for that.

Non-audiophile approvable hard-wired power cord (AWG10), too.

upload_2017-3-16_2-47-22.png

Too complicated, hope it never breaks.

upload_2017-3-16_3-7-50.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
D

Deleted member 65

Below illustrates one of the reasons why I bought my Norma integrated amp ...

upload_2017-3-16_20-13-33.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Below illustrates one of the reasons why I bought my Norma integrated amp ...
Now that's what I'd call having some reserve juice!

Top Bottom