• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where science meats outdoor cooking

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
View attachment 3771 Okay. I got it installed today and I am ready to slow smoke some meats. First up: Prime rib in the Memphis.
That looks cool, I am more low tech...,

image.jpeg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've Chernobyl'd more meat than I care to remember. Learned long ago it's not only easier but much cheaper in the long run to just find good, consistent restaurants to frequent. This one is great for steaks in my area. ;)
http://www.mannyschophouse.com/

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Those look nice. I really think wood pellet is the way to go for grills and smokers. I almost feel like I'm cheating.
I use a commercial smoker from CookShack at my bar for hot smoking and cold smoking. We also brine and do a small amount of dry curing; the health dept. hates it!
One of my customer also builds these in one of his factories, they are sweet.
http://grillagrills.com/

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Those look nice. I really think wood pellet is the way to go for grills and smokers. I almost feel like I'm cheating.
They each have their advantages. with automatic blower temperature controllers you can get similar convenience but with wide choice of what to burn in them.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Have you ever thrown herbs in the smoke box?
Not herbs but I once threw corn husks in there to smoke while Salmon was cooking (indirect heat). Man, it gave it a wonderful color and scent! Ever since I save the corn husks!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

ChrisH

Not herbs but I once threw corn husks in there to smoke while Salmon was cooking (indirect heat). Man, it gave it a wonderful color and scent! Ever since I save the corn husks!
This sounds interesting. I will have to try this out, Amir.
If you have good Salmon, you try making some Lox. It's really simple.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you have good Salmon, you try making some Lox. It's really simple.
Hi Chris. I have always worried about safety of cold smoking of seafood and especially salmon this way. Was looking for a house to buy and a guy said he made some smoked salmon and some nasty parasite grew in his stomach that took a long time for doctors to diagnose.

Is there a safe method to do it? I love Lox so if I can do it, I shall! :)

ChrisH

Hi Chris. I have always worried about safety of cold smoking of seafood and especially salmon this way. Was looking for a house to buy and a guy said he made some smoked salmon and some nasty parasite grew in his stomach that took a long time for doctors to diagnose.

Is there a safe method to do it? I love Lox so if I can do it, I shall! :)
Cold smoking cheese is very safe and can be done easily outside if the temperature where you live gets cold at night; this also works well with nuts and pasta, too. Cold smoking non-shelf stable items you really need a walk-in cooler to keep the temps good.

All you need to make Lox are salt and sugar. When I get home I'll look up my recipes and get you something simple to start with. Something you can do in your fridge at home.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I used to get cold smoked pork from a polish mountain family, made the best bacon lardons. Cooked in a pan on a very very low heat so the fat renders down and the meat crisps up. Slow cook some onion in the fat and dip ya corn bread or a sour dough straight in the pan...

Best thing in the word.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
All you need to make Lox are salt and sugar. When I get home I'll look up my recipes and get you something simple to start with. Something you can do in your fridge at home.
Oh so it is just cured? Somehow I thought it was cold smoked.

But yes, love to have the recipe! :) Don't share with Thomas though. He has been naughty as of late!

ChrisH

I used to get cold smoked pork from a polish mountain family, made the best bacon lardons. Cooked in a pan on a very very low heat so the fat renders down and the meat crisps up. Slow cook some onion in the fat and dip ya corn bread or a sour dough straight in the pan...

Best thing in the word.
This sounds excellent, Thomas. Home made bacon is something everyone should try. It's really not hard to make at home.

ChrisH

Oh so it is just cured? Somehow I thought it was cold smoked.

But yes, love to have the recipe! :) Don't share with Thomas though. He has been naughty as of late!
Technically, Lox is only brined and cured. Lox that comes from Nova Scotia is cold smoked after curing. This is called Nova Lox, which is what is famous in NYC. In Norway they also cold smoke their Lox, but use dill in their brines. Gravalox is what this is called.

Recipe still to follow...

ChrisH

To simply cure Salmon you need the following:
2-3lb Salmon
6oz. Kosher Salt
4oz. Sugar
6oz Brown Sugar

Mix your cure well and place half in a non-reactive container. Put the Salmon in, then pile the rest of the cure over the fish. Make sure it is totally covered. Then place food film inside your container, covering the Salmon and cure. Place a metal pan or something similar on top of the Salmon, this must fit inside the container. Then all you do is place about 5lbs of weight on the metal pan and place in the fridge. You should cure for roughly 3 days, check on day 2 and redistribute your cure if you need, then seal it back up and put the weights on. On day 3 your Salmon should be very firm to the touch, translucent in color and almost jelly like in texture. When it is done, wash the Salmon in cold water and cut into thin slices.

You can also add many different flavors to this as well, you just add them before you cover the Salmon with cure. I enjoy zesting lemons, limes and oranges when I cure Salmon. Fennel, Anise and white peppercorn also work very well.

If you want cold smoked Salmon, first brine in a simple salt/sugar brine for 2-3 days, then immediately wash and pat dry the fish. Then cure it followed up with a nice cold smoke.

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
That was lunch today. The shoulder/butt cuts came from Costco. Total weight was 15.5lbs. It came in 2 pieces.

I smoked it all in 16 hours. I put it on last night at 830pm before I went to bed. I smoked it at 225f. The final IT was 205f. The whole thing pulled apart with a nice bark. I used a foil tray containing apple juice sitting next to the pork in the smoke chamber.

No wrap and no BBQ sauce, of course! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom