• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lars Roon Bridge/Server Build on a Budget Thread

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
D

Deleted member 65

Not too be too much of a shill, but you might want to check out the little thing I wrote on building a Roon bridge on the cheap, if you ever want to build a 2nd one:

http://audiosciencereview.com/forum...endpoint-raspbery-pi-hifiberry-digi-pro.1116/

Ripped my new Roon Bridge apart. Contemplating which spouse strategy to use (yet to be defined). Followed your advice and built (built is maybe too strong word) a RaspBerry Pi3. Works brilliantly, attached a DLink USB WiFi dongle I had lying around.

SAM_1063_zpsgzvxkocx.jpg

Installed in new mediaroom, hardly visible.

SAM_1064_zps9f1sis8q.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 65

About to restart my build of Silent MediaPC, this time not so much on a budget using latest technology just released from Intel.

Bought new Asus Z370 Coffee Lake motherboard today, Intel i7/8700 CPU's not yet available here. Settled for Asus since I've built a number of PC's based on their mb's & I need onboard Wi-Fi which isn't available from that many suppliers.

https://www.asus.com/se/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/

upload_2017-10-6_17-46-24.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
About to restart my build of Silent MediaPC
Great, be an interesting follow. Curious as to see how it's going to be cooled.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Great, be an interesting follow. Curious as to see how it's going to be cooled.

I'll be using same HD-Plex chassis as the failed one above. Failure solely caused by me thinking I could reuse an old AMD based mb & CPU.

Note - All previous pictures are unavailable due to the Ad Clad Photobucket imposing charges to share photos with other websites, about to change to Flickr/Imgur.

upload_2017-10-6_20-49-43.png

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Asus Z370 motherboard installed together with Samsung 960EVO 250GB M.2 hidden under M.2 cooler which is a nice touch by Asus.
Coffee Lake i7 8700 CPU's estimated to arrive late October at the earliest in Sweden.

Worth noting: Only Coffee Lake CPU's work in a Z370 mb. Physically socket is identical to the 1151, however pin assignment differ.

SAM_1286 by Lars Strömberg, on Flickr

script>

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Worth noting: Only Coffee Lake CPU's work in a Z370 mb. Physically socket is identical to the 1151, however pin assignment differ.
Yeh Intel broke CPU pin out compatibility. This is why when my machine died, I bought a temporary i5+motherboard to get Coffee Lake when it is fully released. Reports show that it is becoming available in US sporadically depending on model.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Yeh Intel broke CPU pin out compatibility. This is why when my machine died, I bought a temporary i5+motherboard to get Coffee Lake when it is fully released. Reports show that it is becoming available in US sporadically depending on model.

Or wait for Z390 due next year ... Wait, Intel hijacking the 390 from IBM

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Need assistance from some of our computer savvy members.

Connected new PC to old HD TV (Philips 47" 9664 with HDMI 1.3a connectors) in MediaRoom, TV capable of 1080p video i.e 1920*1080.

Received error code from TV "Videoformat not supported", tried different video settings on PC, from 1024*768 without success.

What could this be?

Note, this TV worked fine in main listening room with different older PC (Z170) and 1080p resolution. Main room now has a Philips OLED TV connected to the Z170 Roon Core PC, works great.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Need assistance from some of our computer savvy members.

Connected new PC to old HD TV (Philips 47" 9664 with HDMI 1.3a connectors) in MediaRoom, TV capable of 1080p video i.e 1920*1080.

Received error code from TV "Videoformat not supported", tried different video settings on PC, from 1024*768 without success.

What could this be?

Note, this TV worked fine in main listening room with different older PC (Z170) and 1080p resolution. Main room now has a Philips OLED TV connected to the Z170 Roon Core PC, works great.
Did you try different refresh rates?

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Works now, installed semi old Philips 32" TV I had intended to move into summer house. Seems something was wrong with old TV.

Top Bottom