Recent content by ShadowFiend

1. S

Question to Horn/15inch Speaker Lovers

Well designed horn speakers have one quality that standard three way box speakers never have that is dynamic. It is because: 1. the dynamic thermal compression of horn/Compression driver/15" mid woofer is much better than dome/cone. 2. the much narrower directivity will make the sound more...
  2. S

Linkwitz LX521.4 Review (and measurements!)

This is the worst way to place LX521 in a room: no toe in, no distance from front wall and big objects near the side. The place for LX521 in your room and the toe-in angle should be like this picture
  3. S

HIGH END Munich 2024

I visit Munich Highend today. New Vivid one speaker is really good, especially bass. Their bass articulation is so great, even at very high volume, which no speaker in the show can do well. The only problem is to show the loudspeaker’s ability, they turn the volume up too much, which is...
  4. S

200th Anniversary of Beethoven's 9th

Yes, I read it too, but wonder it is really a real reason or just an excuse for his "laziness". We all know that as soon as he got a recognition, he reduced his workload to minimum amount and simply just enjoyed his life.
  5. S

200th Anniversary of Beethoven's 9th

My favorite: 1. Furtwangler, Berlin PO LIVE 1942 on Wilhelm Furtwängler: The Radio Recordings 1939-1945 SACD sets issued by Berlin PO. Best transfers from original magnetic tape reels 2. Klemperer, Philharmonia Orchestra LIVE 15.11.1957 on Testament (transfer from BBC's tape): better than the...
  6. S

Introducing Hang Loose Convolver from Accurate Sound

@mitchco: I'm interested in HLC. My DSP chain right now is Roon (music selection, streaming, EQ) -> HQPlayer (convolver for DSP crossover + DSD Upsampling) -> HQPlayer NAA -> DAC. Is there any way to slot HLC between Roon and HQPlayer?
  7. S

Diy 3-Way Compact Monitor Vs 2-Way , Pros+Cons of each design.

@DrSpan : If you have a KH80 and now want to build another near field monitor, I would suggest you choose 3-way mini monitor route. Even though the solution Kef coax + woofer is a great choice, overall the sound is not too far different from your KH80. After all tweeters of both speaker use...
  8. S

Current Drive VS Voltsge Drive

Current drive has advantage that if frequency of input signal greater than 2-4 times resonance frequency of speaker driver in system, it can reduce the 3rd harmonic distortion from 8dB-15dB, depends on drivers, while having no impact on 2nd harmonic distortion. But it has the several problem...
  9. S

Omnidirectional speakers

Principle of dipole dispersion is diffraction at the edge of the baffle in open baffle configuration. So unless the reflection from wall is too strong and too early, the dipole is still formed. Another point is that dipole dispersion have output cancellation only at 90° off axis. In other...
  10. S

Omnidirectional speakers

I agree with you about to get the best accuracy when compared with the recordings is using a speaker with broadband narrow directivity. But I would like to ask, what is your definition of broad band narrow directivity? In my mind, the speaker considered as broad band narrow directivity must have...
  11. S

Omnidirectional speakers

If omni speaker is sound effect generator, then any speaker out there who radiate sound to any off-axis rather than 0° on-axis can also be consider sound generators. Then all speaker are sound effect generator Not everytime, but so many time. And if the studio production team are so great with...
  12. S

Omnidirectional speakers

Thar is what I want to say. Recordings from early 1970 use close micing, and the mixing engineer is responsible for any reverb or cues from hall acoustics. And more often than not, the recordings don't contain accurate acoustic cues. So we have two choice, either stay true to mix/mastering or...
  13. S

Omnidirectional speakers

@Bjorn : your picture about MBL or other omni speaker clearly shows why you have that experience. They all are not properly placed, they should be placed with at least 2m distance from any walls, otherwise the early reflection will kill the imaging. No set up in your photo satisfies this simple...
  14. S

Poll: Speakers closer to which wall(s)?

One more note, the most impressive sound I have heard is not from all of those speaker I listed above but from a speaker I have heard in a fellow audiophile's house in Germany near 10 years ago. This speaker is RDAcoustics Evolution. It is just a 8" full range driver in huge back-loaded horn. I...
  15. S

Poll: Speakers closer to which wall(s)?

Thanks Duke. As an engineer, my principle when approaching audio is 1. Everything in audio engineering is compromise, sometimes technical, sometimes financial, sometimes both. So nothing is one size fit all. 2. Before I can form any opinion about technology, I must audition the best or the most...
Top Bottom