Recent content by OldHvyMec

1. O

Mini-review Ascend ELX Ribbon Tower …

You are right it doesn't invalidate anything in any way. It offers the information not as a preferred or different or better or worse but as information. If someone said they had used coat hangers as interconnect or speaker cables, I would have suggested using a better type of cabling. I'm not...
  2. O

GoldenSounds passes apparently ABX test for DACs (NOT Really)

I think the title should be changed. (NOT Really) needs, to go. Just sayin'. Does it impact the music or the ability to enjoy it in any way other than to argue if some person can or can't hear a difference. My conclusion is if you turn up anything loud enough, you'll hear it all right. Right...
  3. O

Audiometric Test The hearing requirement for an audiometric test is based on hearing loss only at the 500 Hz, 1,000 Hz, and 2,000 Hz frequencies that are typical of normal conversation. The test results are for an audiometer calibrated to the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)...
  4. O

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

miniDSP Flex HTx. 3 way build. GSR neo 10s, GSR 3.0 ribbons. Dayton RS225 (p or a I can't recall)-8 X 3 per side. It's replacing a Behringer DCX2496 with different boards and a First Watt F-5 (RCA). I needed a band pass that the F-5 didn't have, and I wanted XLR for the added noise rejection...
  5. O

You probably could if you had a way to amplify the sound which seems to be what many leave out of a test. We control the test, BUT not all people are trained for the same type of hearing needs used in their particular jobs. At 150 DB for example you might be surprised how easy it is to hear...
  6. O

Op Amp Rolling

I'd say what is very likely is that you don't know and are speculating and that he does know because he did the swap and listened to the result. The most important test there is, personal hands on experience and listening with your own set of ears. Who cares what is sounds like if you don't like...
  7. O

Op Amp Rolling

Ya know it's strange I've used the exact extensions 7 different times in 4 different products and NEVER had a single issue other than being able to roll the OpAmp and give it a thumbs up or a thumbs down. Some people may be able to hold the cables in some strange way to cause what you claim but...
  8. O

Infinity quantum 3: amplifier

They came with Watson DVC. The mid and mid bass coupler look to be original. The problem is the magnets on the tweeters delaminate. Inspect that first. The parts to repair them are (probably) still available. I've tinkered with a few QL 1s, 2s and 3s. The original passive XOs are old be carful...
  9. O

World's larges engine

Oops! The value of locktite and the right kind is the difference in something staying together and you getting it back apart. Blue, Red and White (you have to heat). I'll tell what's spooky, I was on a tug and there was a fire in the front portion of the bilge behind a guy changing a starting...
  10. O

World's larges engine

A double feature of Jaws I and II for a little perspective, ay? I've dove off the Great Barrier going some welding a couple of times in my youth. A great white is just fine when you're in a BIG boat with a harpoon cannon. I'm not a fan of tempting fate with nature. I refer to Mark Irwin. RIP...
  11. O

World's larges engine

That would be really cool but the cost vs bunker oils will be impossible to sell to anyone BUT the US and maybe the greenies in NZ, Australia, maybe the EU and the Scandinavians, BUT none of the middle east, China, Slovak nations, south of the US border countries are willing to switch. You see...
  12. O

Just wasn't determined enough

But they had more than a blown fuse?;)
  13. O

World's larges engine

It is, you can tell 3 ways, One the height of the block is tall, a requirement for the long connecting rods and cylinder/ports. Second the air box covers for ring inspections and 3 the cylinder ports you saw in the video. There are a few more ways. I love the way they say the "emissions" are at...
  14. O

World's larges engine

Some are manufactured with up to 14 cylinders at 110,000 HP per hole. They have been around a while, and some are 3 storied tall. 2 cycle engine to boot. That one look to be a bit smaller and a different design. They are fired on one type of fuel and switched to a lot higher BTU/Cintan fuel...
Top Bottom