Recent content by Mr Vinyl

1. M

Shield SMSL SU-1 Powersupply (Nvidia Shield?)

??? Many of us have full-fledged sound systems and use coax or optical. Not everyone listens to music (or watch movies) through phones or computers.
  2. M

Cambridge Audio Solo Phono Preamplifier Review

No hum on mine. Many things can cause that - turntable proximity to the power amp, power lines, etc. Is your setup 100% identical to what it was previously?
  3. M

S.M.S.L. SU-1 Dac listening fatigue, headache.

Nice. Congratulations on your purchase! Indeed, subwoofers are tricky to set up. Just leave it at your present settings for a while to get used to the sound. If you don't feel the need to tweak anything after a week or two, then you're ok. Even if you do, that's fine too. It took me forever to...
  4. M

After the hype of Chinese HiFi brands, what is the jury?

Not at all. I thought that term was a compliment!!! I meant no disrespect, as you can read from the context of my post, and offer my apologies.
  5. M

Times have changed. Hifiman and the various IEM lines will give you food for thought.
  6. M

Hype? I think they're under-hyped. I just got into 'Chi-fi' at the beginning of the year. Yes I know, I'm late. I got my first IEM and couldn't believe the sound quality and workmanship for $25. Then I got curious at what a $60 or $70 IEM could get me. Well, I was even more surprised than the...
  7. M

It depends where the 44Kz +- is at. Some manufacturers use those numbers without showing whether it's at -3db or -20db! That said, it also depends on how low your sub can go. I usually set mine at its lowest point (20Hz on mine) and increase the volume until I start hearing something. I back off...
  8. M

Well, the sub will balance things out, but it won't reduce the upper end energy. Try less toe-in with the speakers (if they are toed-in presently) and put the grills back on (it may or may not make a difference depending on the grills). Short of room treatment, you can also add some plush...
  9. M

Wow. Looks delicious. But at that price, maybe consider changing DACs and avoid having another item in the signal path? What source is going into your SU-1, and where is the SU-1 going out to , if I may ask?
  10. M

AB'ed those DACs??? I have them (sold the ifi though) and AB everything. The OP mentioned that he was going to add a tube buffer. Without knowing what he is going to get, it is not my place to preach to him as to what to do. Have you AB'ed those DACS?
  11. M

The question here is not what makes spaghetti A spicier than spaghetti B. If a customer finds spaghetti A too spicy, then that's his preference, or non preference. I have two SU-1s. I knew beforehand that they were what I needed because of my slightly "darker' sounding equipment. The Audio hobby...
  12. M

A good example here of someone who listens to music with his eyes.
  13. M

Indeed, it's a very clean and sparkly DAC and can cause that if your amp/speakers/headphones are already bright or close to it.
  14. M

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary Speaker Review

I've had 80th since a number of years now and they not bright at all. I'm sensitive to treble and these things can make you fall asleep to Rammstein. My Arcam Solo isn't a particularly dark amp either. The Dentons sound very similar to my 1994 Paradigm Studio Monitors.
  15. M

Pro-ject Phono Box MM Review

The sound is bad on this thing. The highs are splashy (like a smear) and grainy. For example, cymbal hits don't sound smooth at all.
Top Bottom