Recent content by jabbr

1. J

Role of the "Mind" in subjective audio evaluation???

????? Yeah that's a real cool phenomenon but the conclusions ???? for example: the cortex has builtin vector transform capabilities -- no hard rewiring needed your conclusions / "proof" are completely unjustified. Cut the pop cog sci 101.
  2. J

Review and Measurements of EMO EN-60KDS Ethernet Isolator

Yeah OK I could have said that better. When we talk about "leakage current" this is not the amount of 50/60 Hz signal that crosses across the isolation transformer -- a power isolation transformer wouldn't work if it didn't pass AC mains. The AC mains circuit does not involve current to the...
  3. J

I have all three at home. Wireless is getting better year by year. Multiple video streams still do better with switched fiber/copper. If everyone used fiber, 30% less power usage but most importantly -- audiophile Ethernet cables prob wouldn't exist
  4. J

Another comment. Perhaps I'm confused by the use of the term "leakage" wrt AC mains. An ideal power transformer would only transmit 50/60 Hz! 50/60 Hz on output is usually called ripple and the PSRR is the relevant value. The way I've seen and used leakage has to do with a circuit formed...
  5. J

Could be your good luck! There is that famous EEVBlog video where he tracked down some noise on a scope to a hidden SMPS under the workbench ... these things don't always happen, but they happen. USB is weird because you have the power, ground and differential all together and I've seen nasty...
  6. J

Consider: http://u.dianyuan.com/bbs/u/74/1772721234849548.pdf defining leakage current: https://www.slpower.com/App-slpower/images/whitepapers/An113%20Leakage%20Current.pdf Increasing allowable leakage is sometimes done to reduce EMI as described in the first link.
  7. J

Yes reducing interwinding capacitance is the goal to reduce leakage currents. Note that leakage frequencies are not typically 60 Hz but harmonics (this is alluded to) where impedance is less across the parasitic capacitance and why snubbing is also important. I think this might be helpful only...
  8. J

Safety And Design of DIY originated Audio Products

If Mivera was never intended to be a real company, is this all a joke?
  9. J

All copper Ethernet connections have little transformers. The need for additional isolation is to prevent reduce leakage current, typically for medical applications. If there are situations where leakage currents are relevant to audio, these isos might help. Of course there's also zero leakage...
  10. J

Mivera Audio DAC

Real phase error plots can be convoluted with a pure sine (or other signal) to produce the effects of phase error on the signal.
  11. J

Mivera Audio DAC

Certainly PSD goes beyond (at first glance a 2d plot has much more information than a scalar) Don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting that this is a way to actually measure phase error by frequency offset. There are well described methods (several). The analogy to linewidth is for folks with a...
  12. J

Mivera Audio DAC

Unsure what "run rings around" means but they have a very good reputation. Its really great that we can have such terrific commodity oscillators ... of course if the oscillator is too much better than the rest of the electronics then it doesn't really make a difference. Standard CMOS/TTL logic...
  13. J

Mivera Audio DAC

Ah ok thanks ... there's also a bunch of other phase error which is why the peaks are widened. FWIW, I think that probably the days of value in the e.g. MSB "femtosecond" clocks at $30K or whatever are hopefully fading fast. Crystek has commoditized a really good low phase noise clock which, at...
  14. J

Mivera Audio DAC

I'm unsure that the effects of jitter are easily "baked into" file. With no "jitter" you will see a vertical line at 1kHz. With increasing amounts (using typical flicker noise curves) the peak will widen. The side bands are hard to say ... could be artifact or some type of other non-linearity...
  15. J

Mivera Audio DAC

Near here, practically every town has its own bourbon/whiskey, sort of like armagnac/brandy for you :)