Recent content by GrumpE1

1. GrumpE1

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

Answered my own question...lol Back to the manual, and re-read all that wasn't retained at the initial set-up. Mono isn't monaural output, and is a sudo surround creation much like virtual setting. Setting to Mono is telling the AVR that there's a single channel signal being input. Seems my...
  2. GrumpE1

Hello, and thanks to all who've posted. A X3700 was had based upon the info found here and it's been a delight. However, a quirk (for lack of a better term) was recently found. Choosing Virtual in the audio mode menu yields Mono and vice-versa. I'm a fan of some very old movies, pre WWII...
  3. GrumpE1

Movies you like but others not !!!

Chopper Chicks in Zombietown It's a B movie... B for bad, but it's so far into the realm of B movies that I enjoy how absurd, stupid, and ridiculous it is... It works for me, but haven't met anyone who agrees...lol This was one of Billy Bob Thornton's very early rolls. In fact, it was his...
  4. GrumpE1

Worst movie ever?

It's been mentioned already, but Vanilla Sky is at the top of my worst movie list. There's no shortage of bad movies, but that one left me upset at having not walked away from it. I kept waiting for it to recover, but the downward slide continued. With the quality of the cast and production, it...
  5. GrumpE1

Suggest lesser-known good Sci-Fi films

“I would usually say the weirder the better…” Wouldn’t call this weird, but certainly not the usual. Cowboy’s & Aliens (2011) Not pre 2000, but it’s often over looked despite being very well done. Danial Craig, Olivia Wilde, and Harrison Ford do a fine job in this family friendly mix of...
  6. GrumpE1

Movies Worth Owning

Lili A classic, safe for family viewing. A truly endearing performance...
  7. GrumpE1

The Matrix Resurrections what a horrible movie...

amirm said: “…as to not ruin the memory of the original movies” Spot On! Trinity will always be the hard bodied jewel who died fighting the good fight and remains a legend for her devotion and sacrifice… If I’d not so enjoyed the original trilogy, I’d likely enjoy Resurrections. Carrie-Anne is...
  8. GrumpE1

Thank You Chomatischism, The unit being replaced is a c2005 Denon AVR1705, and although that was near the bottom of Denon's offerings at the time... it has a precision feel to the knobs. Soft, but clear detents on both. There is quite the contrast to the feel of these controls, coupled with...
  9. GrumpE1

Sorry to interject an off question into your conversation. I've just unpacked and set in place my X3700 to find that the volume knob was bound up at it's mid point... was able to ease it thru and work it a bit, so now it turns fairly free. However the selector knob doesn't feel to have any...
  10. GrumpE1

"Agreed. Optical is limited to 2 channel lossless, or 5.1 channel lossy (Dolby Digital). And if you ever get into doing measurements, you want HDMI" @mike7877 & Chromatischism, Thank you gentleman, you've been most helpful in addressing my concern, and this info on HDMI is most enlightening...
  11. GrumpE1

I'm coming out of the dark ages, slowly accumulating components for a balanced sound system. My Denon 1705 c2005 is ready for retirement. I've been building & acquiring better speakers, dual subs, sub amp, and tuning gear (umik-1, REW)… and think the X3700H will be part of the upgrade. One of...
Top Bottom