Recent content by earlevel

1. E

What is the point of upsampling?

Be careful with these kind of questions. ChatGPT only know what other people have said. You could search for an article on the topic and find two. Maybe both sound reasonable, maybe one guy seems to understand it better. Either way, if you don't already know, you'll just have to assume that one...
  2. E

Yes. I'll give a little more concrete example, related to digital audio. I think that understanding that each sample represents an ideal impulse, mathematically, clears up a lot of questions about digital audio processing. It makes understanding sample rate conversion trivial for example (to...
  3. E

See, that's what I like to hear. I've had exchanges with guys who know digital audio, but who haven't worked with "real signals", and despite being good DSP people, they absolutely bristle at the thought that anything resembling an impulse is involved. Because they learned "impulses do not...
  4. E

OK, not to be picky, but to explain why I responded, your post I quoted said, "At least that's the way it worked in our radar system; maybe audio is different..." So I was explaining the specific audio details. ;)
  5. E

What are some ribbons microphones with big bang for the buck?

Gosh, this is interesting, at $999: WA-44 Studio Ribbon Microphone
  6. E

OK. Notice I italicized "can" in both the original and restatement.
  7. E

Please re-read what I wrote, I think you interpreted it backwards. I'll say it again: At 24-bit, any recorded source material has far more noise than the 24-bit quantization contribution. At 16-bit, the quantization noise can be the dominate noise.
  8. E

Linear interpolation is a really poor lowpass filter. It rolls off as the sinc function, it drops slowly to around -4 dB at Nyquist. (What we'd like, in general, is flat and a quick drop near Nyquist and -90 dB and more attenuation from there.) So, linear interpolation is only suitable for...
  9. E

The catch is you can't shape the noise without making it. That is, you can't take a 24-bit audio file and turn it into a 24-bit file with the noise rearranged with noise shaping. You could turn it into a 16-bit file with noise shaping, but it will be noisier than the 24-bit original. That is...
  10. E

I hear ya... Well, the AEAs the I tried definitely had that sweet sound, but you know when Vintage King's "best seller" for AEA (A440) is $6799, it tells you something. The AEA R84 is $1079 ("limited time offer!"), a budget stretcher, at Sweetwater, but it has 41 reviews that look pretty...
  11. E

Ah—well, I think even there mic discussions probably tend towards a better SNR than other topics (like which sample rate sounds better—LOL). I think here the noise is low, but probably the signal too, as far as specialized mics. Still curious, though—what use case? Not that I have any more...
  12. E

What is the use case? "SNR is better here"—are you saying you're looking for a ribbon mainly for SNR? What are you using for a pre? They are quiet, but need a lot of boost. I'm not sure if you win on SNR (I'm literally not sure, I'd need to check). Dynamics are quieter than LDCs, but generally...
  13. E

AI and Future of Music Production

Renamed? I guess you mean that it's not intelligence. But artificial turf is not turf, it's something that mimics turf. There's no expectation that artificial anything (leather, meat, color, flavor, flowers) is indiscernible from what it mimics, so I don't see why AI is any different. I think...
  14. E

Sony MDR-7506 Review (Headphone)

This, your first sentence of your first post I replied to: You tried, for a long while, but they had shortcomings. That's a complaint, no? Sure, I'm not complaining that you have an opinion. I was just giving counterpoint, mainly to the idea that Scheps was perhaps not addressing certain...
  15. E

Sony MDR-7506 Review (Headphone)

OK, thanks for the explanation. I'll take your word for it (I don't use MDR-7506, little motivation for me to spend time testing what you are saying), that listening to MDR-7506 gives a narrower experience. That said, I'm not sure that jibes with your complaints about mixing with them. (Again...
Top Bottom