Recent content by DOuG pRATt

1. DOuG pRATt

Topping E30 II Lite DAC review and measurements

Yes, I know. I OWN ONE OF THESE UNITS. Let's answer the question more directly. There will be no difference in sound.
  2. DOuG pRATt

The unit does not come with a power supply. You provide a 5V USB power supply. There is an adapter cable included with the E30 II Lite with USB on one end, and a pin connector on the other end.
  3. DOuG pRATt

It uses a USB power supply either way.
  4. DOuG pRATt

Phillips 388 integrated amp quality ?

I had the 388's kid brother, the Philips 384, with 40 watts/channel. An excellent amp, it powered my Allison 3 speakers when they were new in 1979. I regret selling the Philips, but I did that a few years later to help pay for a Mitsubishi DA-R20 receiver that I still have.
  5. DOuG pRATt

That's what I'm thinking. Out of the box it's in preamp mode. Switching it to pure DAC, the way mine is set, would probably bring up the loudness. Or turn up the preamp volume, of course.
  6. DOuG pRATt

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

Bose lost its suit against Consumer Reports for saying the stereo image of the original 901 “wandered around the room.”
  7. DOuG pRATt

Topping seems to be as careful with details as I was with that incorrect link. ;-)
  8. DOuG pRATt

My mistake. That's the link for the Windows driver without the firmware. But the fact is the actual firmware download doesn't match the expected version.
  9. DOuG pRATt

FYI: There's a V2.01 firmware update for the E30II Lite, posted on leap day. https://www.toppingaudio.com/download/e30-ii-lite-drivers-for-windows-7-10-11
  10. DOuG pRATt

Anyone here own Allison Acoustics speakers?

I once had the pleasure of meeting Roy Allison, after he had moved his facility from Natick to Framingham, where Bose continues to have its headquarters. I bought a couple of replacement midrange drivers that Roy said were improved over the units in my 3's that were made in 1977.
  11. DOuG pRATt

Anyone here own Allison Acoustics speakers?

I have a pair of Allison 3's, and a pair of much smaller LC110's.
  12. DOuG pRATt

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary Speaker Review

As HAL would say, "Yes... it's puzzling." I'm not going to open up my two pairs of Denton 80's, but perhaps the 9-year-old units have a metal basket. It appears to be a cast basket.
  13. DOuG pRATt

Moondrop May USB-C Headphones Review

I have a couple of almost-free USB-C DAC adapters. One came with the first generation of the 7Hz Salnotes Zero. Both of them have the low-level hiss that I associate with cheap op-amps. Neither is as bad as plugging into the earphone jack of a Roku remote, but the noise is definitely present...
  14. DOuG pRATt

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary Speaker Review

I totally respect Amir's testing. I miss the test reports in the audio magazines of the past, from 'Stereo Review' to 'High Fidelity' to 'Audio' and, when I had access to them in the 80's, the British publications. I subscribed to 'Stereophile' for a year or two, and gave up after the nonsense...
Top Bottom