Recent content by AcousticLvr

1. A

“Modern Baroque” by Apollo’s Fire

Just joking about the period instruments. Apollo’s Fire players ‘specialize’ in playing period instruments. You don’t see very many theorbos or lutes or valveless horns or hammered dulcimers or harpsichords, etc. in the modern orchestra today. Hearing the music played on the instruments it was...
  2. A

Seeing the performers close up really does enhance the experience. Hey, there are live performance videos everywhere, in virtually every genre — why not classical & baroque.
  3. A

Wrong flutes too… Actually there are a number of instruments that look weird, especially in the Monteverdi.
  4. A

That was the reason for the posting & recommendation. It is challenging to maintain groups like Apollo’s Fire, but they are doing it & growing. They were an offshoot of the Cleveland Orchestra, which has its home at Severance Hall & summers at Blossom Music Center in Cleveland. I get to see/hear...
  5. A

As a new ASR member, I offer the following recommendation: Apollo’s Fire. Based in Cleveland, OH this baroque ensemble not only has exceptional (i.e. world class) players & singers, but they play on period instruments. Additionally, the recording quality & engineering is absolutely first rate...
Top Bottom