Recent content by AaronJ

1. A

Best way to upgrade preamp?

This is a perfect situation for a minidsp flex with rca I/O. It has digital inputs for the cd transport and as long as you aren’t using subs you can set the four analog outputs to distribute either to the parasound amp or to the Burson headphone amp. Added benefit is you could choose to add...
  2. A

New phono cart needed

This is definitely true about reading past the worn part I won’t disagree there. I do have to be careful to examine records for groove wear. To me the spherical has less background noise than the MR on used records, sounds about the same on new records, and the MR produces more clarity on worn...
  3. A

New phono cart needed

This is good information. For whatever reason the spherical is quieter and if it’s a result of frequency roll off associated with mistracking due to dirt and grime then I’m happy with it. There was a time I would swap out the Denon with the V15V-MR on newer records but I honestly couldn’t tell...
  4. A

New phono cart needed

Much more quiet and forgiving on less-than-perfect used records. Not picking up the dirt that’s so deep in the grooves that it can’t be removed is the most significant benefit. Advanced stylus can definitely help if there is groove wear but otherwise I found no other noticeable benefits...
  5. A

New phono cart needed

I don't have much to add regarding the Sumiko because I haven't used one. In my experience the Denon has zero issues with inner grooves that another advanced stylus (VM95ML, Shure V15V-MR, Ortofon OM30) doesn't also have, which is to say basically no issues. Maybe it's due to the lower mass of...
  6. A

Caption this photo.

How can one lousy Romex cable possibly supply enough current for all those fire hoses?
  7. A

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

The only time I have ever had a problem with a turntable is with it attached to the wall. The 60Hz hum from the subwoofer in the corner would excite the stylus and create a feedback loop that would cause the sub to vibrate so much that it would move. Never actually had a problem with it...
  8. A

Extreme Snake Oil

It won’t sell unless your company is called Angsty Audio Research Labs (AARL for short). You must cite the papers of people with hundreds of combined years of experience so you can claim that hundreds of years of research have gone into developing your proprietary technology.
  9. A

Schiit Vidar 2 Stereo Amplifier Review

According to Jason, the Saga is coming back with a headphone jack. Really hope if they insist on having a tube in it that it can run without one like the Lyr+, but without all the ridiculous heat that thing generates.
  10. A

Schiit Skoll Balanced Phono Stage Review

Not really. Most of Schiit’s components are designed for consumers who are already invested in their lineup. They needed a medium sized phono stage for their similar sized Schiit stack. The great thing about Mani is it can be easily placed out of sight. I have one for my office setup.
  11. A

Jason's whole crazy uncle schtick is the reason people get heavily invested in the Schiit ecosystem.
  12. A

Extended warranties are NEVER good for the customer if they must also pay for them, and I expect that Schiit's pricing model includes the liability cost of honoring a lengthy warranty. I'd rather see them just reduce the cost by 100 bucks with a 1 year warranty and offer the option to purchase...
  13. A

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

I would happily post my positive impressions of Eric and his speakers on this very forum if he would send me a free pair.
  14. A

Deleted. Apologies in advance to the mods. I would be happy to discuss this with you over private PM to keep politics out of this thread.
  15. A

New phono cart needed

For 10 hours a year consider getting the AT VM95C for like $40. I’m a big fan of the less exotic stylii, especially for records that are of questionable quality and cleanliness. VM95ML is a great cartridge no doubt but I couldn’t enjoy it as I constantly had the alignment and cable capacitance...
Top Bottom