• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Bang for the Buck Reel to Reel

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If I wanted to get into reel to reel with a decent vintage deck, but am not willing yet to commit to a full $5k-$10k J-Corder rebuild, what models should I be looking for?

Preferably <$1500ish.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Been out of the RTR world for 20 years. Revox had a good rep and those I have used were good. I do believe later upper end Sony's beat it though I don't recall a model number. I used some Tascam's in later vintage that were also very nice in sort of a semi-pro or pro-sumer version. Akai made some decks that seemed very well made and look like they should be good, but I don't think they ever had great quality heads so avoid those. And of course if you could score an Otari from somewhere those should be nice.

I am not up on pricing though just naming some better than average affordable decks you might run across.

Here are some for sale I found just for examples. I don't know if the pricing etc makes sense or the relative reasonableness of these when they are this old.

https://reverb.com/item/4625735-otari-mx55-2-track-reel-to-reel-tape-machine-grey

https://reverb.com/item/6115037-ota...tored-pro-stereo-reel-2-4-track-tape-recorder

https://reverb.com/item/5715017-fostex-model-20-reel-to-reel-recorder-100-functional

https://reverb.com/item/6148847-ota...deck-tape-recorder-w-dolby-hx-pro-plus-extras

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeah, but aren't those like $4k?
On the rebuilt, fancy chrome versions and such. Normal ones in working condition should not be more than $1,500.

Since you are local to us, best way to acquire one is through god of Reel to Reel, Ki Choi.

Send me a PM and I will connect you via email with him. He got me my slightly used Otari MX-5050 which has served me quite well. I know he wants to reduce his inventory of decks.

BTW, whatever you buy, needs to have two key features: 15 ips speed and IEC equalization. Almost all pre-recorded tapes come in this combination.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
From my quick look, it does not have 15 ips speed. Without it, it is not of any value with respect to playing commercial tapes.

But there were commercially released recordings on 7.5 IPS (e.g. Sinatra, Belafonte)...so not sure what you mean...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes there were 7.5 ips commercial tapes, most of them I would say were 3.75 ips. I don't know if Amir is referring to modern tapes that are available. Those are usually 15 ips. I would suggest getting a 15 ips capable deck. But if you are just wishing to try out the RTR thing, that Tandberg is probably pretty good. They made a version of it that was a Tandberg 20a SE which would do 15 ips according to some. If Amir can hook you up with a guy like Ki Choi that would be good. Make sure you are getting a good deck with no operational issues.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But there were commercially released recordings on 7.5 IPS (e.g. Sinatra, Belafonte)...so not sure what you mean...
Sorry I meant the modern revival of tape. All currently produced tapes are 15 ips.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Trying to track down the 2-track, high speed version of the Tandberg TD-20A SE

$_3.JPG

Incredibly rare in USA, not quite as hard to find in Europe, but then shipping and electrical issues...

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Did you ever hook up with Ki Choi? If someone knows where to find such things, and how reliable they are, it is him.

I think we exchanged some emails, but we were both traveling at the time and then the thread got neglected...

Here is the SE version, which has both adjustable EQ and some kind of proprietary EQ for more "modern" (in the 1980s) tape formulas:

s-l1600.jpg

From what I've read, the Tandberg electronics are some of the best sounding, although the build is not as tank-like as the Otaris, so not as suitable for heavy duty cycles of 40 hours a week of use (doesn't apply to me).

Compared to the Technics RS-1500 series, it doesn't let you swap back and forth between 2 track vs 4 track.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I was working for Ampex when the ATR100 series was launched. Left me speechless when I first saw one. The AG440s were good, but really just an update on the 350s, whilst the ATR was altogether in another league.

S
Not cheap, but arguably the best solid-state, analog mastering RR machine ever built—the mighty Ampex ATR-102:
https://reverb.com/item/15976792-ampex-atr-102-1-4-2-track-tape-machine-serviced-runs-well

BTW, if anyone is curious, the main reason I'm getting an RTR is not to play Tape Project tapes (they sound nice, but we already have high resolution digital versions of those recordings, and I could make my own tapes if I wanted to....I'm not an analog fetishist), but to archive some 15 ips (sometimes 7.5) classical masters and safety masters of local symphonies from New York, Russia, and other places that I've acquired.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, if anyone is curious, the main reason I'm getting an RTR is not to play Tape Project tapes (they sound nice, but we already have high resolution digital versions of those recordings, and I could make my own tapes if I wanted to....I'm not an analog fetishist), but to archive some 15 ips (sometimes 7.5) classical masters and safety masters of local symphonies from New York, Russia, and other places that I've acquired.
Apart from the audio quality, one overwhelming feature of the ATR range was the superbly gentle tape handling. They don't have a pinch roller for the capstan, it's purely as a speed sensor, the tape drive is done from the two spools, and if I remember correctly (it was over 40 years ago), they don't have any brakes which could snap or stretch delicate tapes, all braking is done by the servoes. If I were having to handle precious tapes, there isn't another machine I'd use as willingly.

S

Top Bottom