• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kii THREE

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Mola Mola is really Jan's from Hypex' product, I am not sure how much Bruno is still part of that project.
Keith

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I heard the Kii Three at the Cranage Audio Show in late June. It wasn't on the exhibitor list so a welcome surprise. Unfortunately it was in a small bedroom which was a shame, but I still thought it was the best sound at the show. The bass was a bit compromised, no doubt due to the size of the room, but the imaging and soundstage was very good. I got to hear quite a few pieces of music that I know well and the Kiis were very good, especially when I came back to the room a second time and listened from an off centre seat. No collapsing into one speaker. As good as my Linkwitz LX521s in that respect! ;) The dealer was using a Merging NADAC player (but presumably not its 8 dacs?) and Roon as the music player. The Kiis were able to deal with the small room very well. Impressive.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Merging make a two and eight channel version, the Kii's didn't need the DACs from either of course.
Bass is one of the Kii's strongpoints, wasn't the dealer also using PSI's active traps?
Keith

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It was the 8 channel NADAC - I was interested in it because I use an 8 channel Mytek which is getting a bit long in the tooth, although still a current model. Unfortunately the NADAC is 3 times the price and doesn't have an ADC, so the Mytek enables me to play some vinyl every once in a while.

I can't honestly remember if there were any bass traps in the room. The dealer didn't have any literature on any of the items (it could have all gone when I got to his room) and I think it was a last minute decision to exhibit which was why it was a small room - a shame as Cranage has some nice rooms. There was also considerably more younger people and wives/girlfriends than I usually see at shows I've been to in the past. Mrs Burning Sounds came with me although I had to bribe her with a pamper day at the hotel's leisure centre. Now she wants to go again next year! :D
Gordon

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It was the 8 channel NADAC - I was interested in it because I use an 8 channel Mytek which is getting a bit long in the tooth, although still a current model. Unfortunately the NADAC is 3 times the price and doesn't have an ADC, so the Mytek enables me to play some vinyl every once in a while.
Have you considered the HAPI?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Very enthusiastic review in this month's Stereophile.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

fas42

Major Contributor
I've been noting quite a number of comments by owners of Kii's that changing the power cord alters the sound quite significantly. This is a shame, because it means that the filtering of the mains is not as good as it should be - full sorted out design should ensure that the sound remains consistent, irrespective of any extra filtering, or lack of such, provided by the cable construction.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I've been noting quite a number of comments by owners of Kii's that changing the power cord alters the sound quite significantly. This is a shame, because it means that the filtering of the mains is not as good as it should be - full sorted out design should ensure that the sound remains consistent, irrespective of any extra filtering, or lack of such, provided by the cable construction.
That is only one interpretation, of course.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I've been noting quite a number of comments by owners of Kii's that changing the power cord alters the sound quite significantly.

Let's see some pretty charts and graphs before jumping to that conclusion.

Amplification: 6x250W full-custom Ncore (power consumption in standby < 0,5 Watt) per speaker

6 x 250 = 1500w not considering losses nor unused power

You'd want a sufficiently sized power cord and source.

Of course I have my entire rack on a single 120V 15A outlet (1800W), theoretically way overloaded, and things seem fine here.

fas42

Major Contributor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Apart from owners 'wanting' to hear a difference, what would be those other interpretations?

Peer pressure? Group-think?

fas42

Major Contributor
Let's see some pretty charts and graphs before jumping to that conclusion.

Amplification: 6x250W full-custom Ncore (power consumption in standby < 0,5 Watt) per speaker

6 x 250 = 1500w not considering losses nor unused power

You'd want a sufficiently sized power cord and source.

Of course I have my entire rack on a single 120V 15A outlet (1800W), theoretically way overloaded, and things seem fine here.
I'm sure it's nothing to to do with "overloading", rather that high frequency noise riding on the mains waveform is being attenuated to some degree in different ways by the different cords - that noise should be prevented from having an effect on the Kii's behaviour, by better internal filtering.

fas42

Major Contributor
Peer pressure? Group-think?
Kii's are new, the people buying them want one box solutions - not your average audiophile is choosing these. Of course, this type of reported behaviour is extremely easily tested by well done DBTs - would be interesting if such were to be done.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Above plugged into the Equitech 1.5 RQ or into house outlet (mains)?

Maybe I misunderstand, I don't have Kii speakers... The quote was the Kii specification...

The Equitech plugs into the wall (15A 120V), high-draw items (amps, preamp, plasma TV) plug into the Equitech itself, low-draw into it directly or into additional power strips fed by the Equitech (wall-warts, speaker panel bias, JBL LSR 308, DSP) .

It's a bit haphazard, after the high draw items, things just plug in to a socket they can reach, but all are fed from the same source.

Last edited:
Top Bottom