• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Don's New Revels in House: Salon2, Voice2, F206

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Well, have the Maggies, but not a wall I want to tear up... ;) You are thinking of mounting them back-to-back, radiating into each room? Or literally flush to the wall with the back dampened by insulation (or not)? Mounting them in a wall, or just on a wall, increases the cancellation frequency due to SBIR, natch.
No, Don. I think he means cutting a hole in the wall the exact size of the Maggies, so that people on each side of the wall would hear only the direct sound from one side of the speaker with no dipole cancellation or other dipole dispersion effects.

Incidentally, a good friend has a Salon2/Voice2 5.1 setup, with something else for surrounds. He likes it a lot and so do I.

I am heavily into Mch classical music, myself, though my Mch audio system also serves beautifully for video. Do you do much with Mch music? For me, it was one of the greatest discoveries ever in audio.

OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
OK, that makes sense. Still no sacrificial walls in my place, and the chance of getting different people in two different rooms who want to hear the same music is nil, so,,, ;)

Re. Mch music: Just about the time I bought a couple of Mch SACD discs my Oppo died so no. But, that is one thing I want to try more of, as mentioned earlier. Do you use SACDs, DVDs, BDs, stream? Where do you go for Mch music? Probably worthy of another thread...

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Think I've written more here than since I joined! I'm an engineer, not a writer, and sometime musician and audiophile, so back to listening!
Thank you, kindly, Tom. :)

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
OK, that makes sense. Still no sacrificial walls in my place, and the chance of getting different people in two different rooms who want to hear the same music is nil, so,,, ;)

Re. Mch music: Just about the time I bought a couple of Mch SACD discs my Oppo died so no. But, that is one thing I want to try more of, as mentioned earlier. Do you use SACDs, DVDs, BDs, stream? Where do you go for Mch music? Probably worthy of another thread...

SACD is primary. Mch downloads and streaming are still rare. There are many fewer BD-Audio only discs, but also a fair number of BD Video concerts, operas, ballets, etc. Most, except for BD-V, are covered here:

http://www.hraudio.net/

An excellent resource! My bible!

OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Bookmarked, thanks! Waffling between the Sony X800 and new Oppo. Main differences for me are price and Sony's lack of Dolby Vision support. No idea if the latter will matter in the long run.

Nightlord

Well, have the Maggies, but not a wall I want to tear up... ;) You are thinking of mounting them back-to-back, radiating into each room? Or literally flush to the wall with the back dampened by insulation (or not)? Mounting them in a wall, or just on a wall, increases the cancellation frequency due to SBIR, natch.

I mean to put them in a hole each, so they radiate into both rooms. Probably flush with the wall in the room that is primary, so in the back radiation room they will probably just be usable for background music as the recessed mounting will probably have some drawbacks, unless one could do a nice waveguide out of it that is. If the waveguide turns out to be a good idea, then of course speaker could be put in the middle of the wall with a waveguide towards each room.

OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Got it, thanks. There will be diffraction and some effects from the cavity but the basic sound probably won't change a lot. They generally act like line'ish sources until the wavelength exceed the panel dimensions, so minimal interaction with the cavity. Below that they'll start to act more like a point source but by then the wavelengths are probably much longer than the wall thickness.

OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Update: I've been dialing things in and have gotten things set up pretty well now. Here is something that shocked me a bit: My Salon2's, when running about 10 dB louder than my old Magnepan MG-IIIa's, have about 10 dB lower distortion! I mean, @%^$#!!! I just happened to compare those two curves and those are the levels I had run. Boy, these things are clean! I'm within about 5 dB of the target curve out to 20 kHz (not that I can hear anywhere near that high), and 3 dB down at about 7 Hz (amazing what a quartet of subs and small'ish room will do).

I'm rather pleased [/understatement] - Don

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My Salon2's, when running about 10 dB louder than my old Magnepan MG-IIIa's, have about 10 dB lower distortion!

Not saying this is you, but I noticed something similar here, but it was noise being measured, not distortion.

To test, ran sweeps from very low to high levels - JBL LSR 308.

Distortion decreased with more volume (like better SNR ratio) until the distortion from the speakers actually rose out of the noise floor (of the room, the mic, the whatever).

The signal SPL had to be pretty loud - like 85 or 90 dB - before the "real" distortion emerged.

Distortion decreases with signal:
50/55/60/65/70/75/80 dB signal - distortion - top is 50dB SPL, bottom 80 dB

upload_2017-6-17_21-29-4.png

Then, distortion increases with signal:
80/85/90/95 SPL - lowest distortion line is 80dB SPL

upload_2017-6-17_21-30-28.png

Last edited:
OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Well, possibly, but I am seeing discrete spurs well above the noise floor. The THD is suspect since it looks like noise is impacting that, especially at lower levels, but my room is fairly quiet so I think the results are real. Actually what I was looking at was more like SFDR.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
At Listening position, both speakers speaking, 10 ft distance:

MartinLogan Panels - 80dB, 815Hz

upload_2017-6-18_1-58-27.png

JBL LSR 308 - 80dB, 815Hz

upload_2017-6-18_2-0-58.png

Could you take a comparative reading on the Revels just for grins? I don't have access to Ultima anything here.

Last edited:
OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
That's using REW? I have not used its RTA facility and barely looked at its distortion plots (measured distortion using another program, R+D, and my Earthworks mic). I am also not sure the distortion level and noise floor of the UMIK-1. I'll run some tests next time I have everything set up (put it all away yesterday and have other plans today). Not sure they are as clean as yours, and I know the impulse response is nowhere near as nice, though the latter is a function of the room as well.

Thanks guys. It was nearly ten years ago that we finished the basement and media room and probably ten years before that since I had my main system running. I had a 5.1 Mirage system with OMD-5's and OmniSats, but didn't really like the little fronts, and the Mirage sub was a piece of... well, it was sub-optimal (pardon the pun!) I switched to my Infinity Alpha for L/C/R, with the 12" Infinity sub, then got my old MG-IIIa's out of storage and set them up. Forgot how much I missed them... I had the Alphas doing duty as surrounds for a bit before they went to the upstairs family room and returned the the OmniSats. It became clear that I needed a matching center, and needed better surrounds, so over the next few years I picked up a Magnepan CC3 and later four MC-1's. I also purchased a pair of Rythmik F12's.

The last few years I've worried how much longer my ca. 1988 MG-IIIa's would last. I evolved a short list of speakers to hear and managed to gather funds, but work has been insane (70 - 90 hour workweeks months on end) so no time, and expenses were through the roof (college and ill parents), thus time and again the funds and listening time evaporated. I really wanted to listen to the newer Maggies and some ESLs as well as the latest conventional models. Of course, the kind of high-end gear that used to be within reach, was unobtanium now so I had no plans for getting the top of any line (Magnepan 20's would not fit so would've been 3.7i's; I was also looking hard at Sanders ESLs, and for conventional mainly Revel and Salk).

This time the stars aligned. I had the funds and suddenly a dealer called and said Harman had blemished Salon2's being sold as A-stock, full warranty (I couldn't find the blemish without pictures the dealer provided), and he made me a great offer for a pair with a Voice2 (new). I decided to keep the MC-1's surrounds and rears since I was pretty tapped out and couldn't afford Gem2's (which I was told were a good match). Always wanted floorstanders after hearing how well they worked in a few systems but wasn't sure they'd fit my room or budget so decided to wait. At the last minute he said he also had four F206's (not F208's, the little brothers) at a similar discount. That was the day after an unexpected windfall arrived in the mail that essentially covered them (alas, a death benefit from my dad who recently passed away). I decided it was a sign and, with my wife's blessing, told the dealer to load everything up and drop it off.

I should mention that my wife was completely behind me and in fact a driving force. She remembered how I used to sit and listen to music, and encouraged me to get them before I retired, while we had the funds, and I could still hear (somewhat). It was scary jumping to conventional again especially since I had never heard the Salon2's, and only briefly heard some smaller models. I did discuss my concerns with the dealer who agreed to work with me if they did not pan out. But, my research indicated these were among the very best, so frankly my only real concern was whether they would provide the sort of sound I wanted. Turns out they are doing fine; they are large enough, and distortion is low enough, that the change was actually less than I expected. My room is (too) heavily treated so reflections are not an issue. The tweeter is surprisingly good, or maybe my ears have gotten so bad, but I don't miss the ribbon in my Maggies. The Salon2's fit the stereotype of being a "dynamic" speaker but image very cleanly while playing much deeper than my panels did. Finally tried a movie tonight and the F206's were everything I hoped for, providing good sound with an extra octave or so of bass over the MC-1's.

I have a lot of dialing-in to do yet, and am awaiting the stand for the Voice2, but so far I am happy and certainly have no regrets. I got a wonderful deal on a set of speakers that sound, well, wonderful. I attached a couple of pix so you get an idea what things look like. The Salon2's and Voice2 are mahogany and gorgeous. The F206's are glossy black; not my favorite since I am not the best housekeeper, but fine for surrounds and rears. The TV in front is an older 52" model; you can see (barely) one of the F206's at the rear. The others are out of sight in these shots. What's not out of sight is the mess of wires up front; the Salon2's aren't wide enough to hide it like my Maggies did! ;)

View attachment 7488

View attachment 7489
My condolences on your father. Maybe you will think of him when you turn on your stereo.
Sorry you left the dipole club. Those boxes are cumbersome and expensive. I hope this was a vertical move and the bloom never fades.
Congrats.

Last edited:
OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thank you Reginald, and welcome to ASR!

Cumbersome weight-wise, true, but the footprint from the MLP is much less, so pros and cons, natch. As for a vertical shift, who ever really knows for sure, but definitely not a step down, at least lateral, and in some ways a step up. They don't have the big "presence" of my Maggies but the sound stage is much more spacious than I had expected, though I should have expected that given their very different dispersion patterns.

Doubt I'll ever really leave the dipole club but it is interesting going back (to the Dark Side? ;) ) for a while. Probably a long while as these circumstances were pretty unique. I do think my Maggies would be happier in a bigger room, but even though our youngest is graduating this year he and Mom vetoed ripping up the basement so I could add it to my media room, imagine that. :cool:

Now I just need more time to listen, Work keeps interfering with Life. :)

As for the bloom fading, well, I need to avoid mirrors... - Don

SplitTime

Forum Donor
<Cross posted from AVS. Note Amir and I also exchanged notes and he was very helpful as usual. Switching from panels to conventional is quite a change and had me very nervous but so far I am a happy camper. No, not the one on the cliff...>

Finally got my new Revels set up and listening. I was very nervous that they would not provide the clean, immersive sound of my Maggies but I am very happy so far. Having surrounds and rears that play pretty deep is also a welcome new experience.
Did I mention they sound fantastic?

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Yup, three big ol' grins!

I bet it does sound fantastic. So much fun too. Thanks for sharing the pictures as well - great stuff. Enjoy!!!

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
<Cross posted from AVS. Note Amir and I also exchanged notes and he was very helpful as usual. Switching from panels to conventional is quite a change and had me very nervous but so far I am a happy camper. No, not the one on the cliff...>

Finally got my new Revels set up and listening. I was very nervous that they would not provide the clean, immersive sound of my Maggies but I am very happy so far. Having surrounds and rears that play pretty deep is also a welcome new experience.

Unpacking was a pain. The surrounds and rears are glossy black. Revel does a great job with a fairly heavy plastic film that is a challenge to remove. By the second or third F206 my pleasure at how well they were protected had abated substantially as I tried to figure out the best way to pull yet another big swath of thick plastic wrap off the speakers. By the last one I had it down; a propane torch works nicely (OK, kidding, but it did cross my mind). I discovered peeling from top down worked pretty well. There were a few tiny pinheads of plastic that stuck here and there, blah. I left them; that way, if I ever sell them, I can say they are "still in the original plastic". I had also remembered by then why I never owned glossy black speakers, every fingerprint or bit of sweat (or drool) clearly shows. Again, engineers can always find a solution; I'm keeping the room dark.

I unpacked and set up the Salon2's myself as my son was busy and I wanted to hear them. It was easier than I thought in the sense that moving an elephant might also be easier than I think. The good news is that my sore back is keeping me up and listening long past my usual beddy-bye time.

They sound fantastic though I still have some tweaking to do.

Many thanks to @John Schuermann for staying in touch the past few months and then letting me know when some came up at a good price. And MANY thanks to Joel, who works for John, for loading everything up and helping deliver them to my place!

Did I mention they sound fantastic?

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Yup, three big ol' grins!

FWIWFM - Don

p.s. Obligatory equipment list: Salon2 L/R, Voice2 center, F206 surrounds and rears, 4 x Rythmik F12 subwoofers. Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-5, XPA-2. Some $100 Sony BD player (need to buy a new SACD player since my Oppo died a couple of years ago). SONOS:Connect to access my music library (CDs etc. ripped to FLAC and stored on a NAS RAID system). Room is isolated with floating walls and ceiling, concrete (basement) floor, mini-split HVAC so no ducts to the rest of the house. Roughly a bazillion absorbers due to rather poor room dimensions (may add some diffusors; Joel made some nice ones using a design of Dr. Toole's for John and will make them for others so I may get on his list).

p.p.s. All my old Maggies, all seven of them, all boxed up fit in roughly the same volume as one Salon2 box. Forgot just how big conventional speakers can get...
Hi Don
just came across this wonderful system, hope you're still enjoying it. I noticed you are using 4 subs and i'm considering going from 2 to 4. I currently have two f113v2s and for space and money considerations would like to add either the f112s or f110s. Integration would be done using the new AVM90 with ARC Genesis (when available). Did you notice a substantial improvement going from 2 to 4 and how important would it be, generally speaking, that all 4 subs have the same performance capabilities? and happy new year :)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your listening impressions. But I'm confused a bit on what you compared... it was the revels with the 1988 MG-IIIa's, not with the newer 3.7i's - right(?)

Or did the short-listed speakers get compared?

Also, what are the dimensions of the listening room?

OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hi Don
just came across this wonderful system, hope you're still enjoying it. I noticed you are using 4 subs and i'm considering going from 2 to 4. I currently have two f113v2s and for space and money considerations would like to add either the f112s or f110s. Integration would be done using the new AVM90 with ARC Genesis (when available). Did you notice a substantial improvement going from 2 to 4 and how important would it be, generally speaking, that all 4 subs have the same performance capabilities? and happy new year :)

Yes, I am, when I have time! And Happy New Year to you, too!

My room is not large, is sealed, and has relatively poor dimensions for room modes. I probably could have repositioned the two to improve the response, but going to four allowed me to position them front and rear so as to effectively cover ("cancel") room modes for much better in-room response (still nothing like some of the gorgeous plots others have shown). Output was never an issue, but the quartet allowed me to counter a couple of big nulls, and four small subs in my room are easier to place and less obtrusive than a couple of monster subs.

There are several considerations when mixing subs IME/IMO. How easy/hard it is depends somewhat upon the flexibility of the correction program (e.g. room correction like Audyssey or Dirac Live, or external/supplemental DSP like miniDSP or Antimode, or even analog EQ like Marchand's BASSIS), flexibility in sub and listener positions, and of course the room itself. If you cannot place them reasonably, they may not help. Here are a few things to consider (that may or may not apply to you -- I am not terribly familiar with the JL line, have not looked in years):
  • Sealed and ported subs typically have much different output characteristics around and below the port tuning frequency, with differing phase and amplitude curves for each. May not be "too" hard well above the port tuning frequency, but around and below you need independent phase control to successfully integrate them.
  • Subs with different output capability are problematic, natch, since at the loudest the set can achieve you'll be overdriving the "lesser" or underutilizing the "greater" sub(s). Some folk put the "lesser" sub closer to help reduce the difference in amplitude capability.
  • Using Welti's or Geddes' (etc.) guidelines for placement you can optimize the in-room response -- if you have the placement and control flexibility to take advantage of that. Integrating more than a couple, or even more than one, is more work but can offer substantial improvements in bass response.
I am using four Rythmik F12's, which are fairly small 12" sealed subs (I have a bias toward sealed and wanted smaller boxes), and of course pretty much identical in response. Rythmik intentionally tunes their line so the subs have similar frequency response across the line so mixing different models of sealed or ported is a little easier.

Thanks for your listening impressions. But I'm confused a bit on what you compared... it was the revels with the 1988 MG-IIIa's, not with the newer 3.7i's - right(?)

Or did the short-listed speakers get compared?

Also, what are the dimensions of the listening room?

Correct. I have not heard the 3.7i, though I find it hard to believe the sonic signature is very different (the new panel structure should have lower distortion and perhaps a little greater output).

I had to dig to find my "short list"; I have heard many speakers over the years, but did far less in-person listening this time due to lack of time and limited availability in my area. I got a great deal on the Salon2's so had to move a little quickly, but frankly with my job and life situation the type of listening trials I did in the past weren't going to happen regardless.

Of the ones listed above, I never heard the M2s (though heard 4367s very briefly), did hear Magnepan 3.6/3.7 (before the "i" version IIRC), never heard Salk, have heard Sanders (and many other) ESLs in the past but not recently, and was able to hear the Revel Studio, F208, and F206 at a local dealer (they did not have the Salon2 in stock that I recall). They were in different rooms, different electronics, etc. so direct comparisons were not made. I am familiar with and heard fairly recently (at that time) several B&W and Martin-Logan models plus a few others that did not stand out to me (e.g. Focal, pushed by a local dealer).

Room is 13'3" W x 17'7" L x 8'5" high with front speakers (and a 65" TV) along the width. I have an SDP-75 processor (rebadged Trinnov Altitude), couple of Emotiva amps (original gen 1 XPA-2 and XPA-5), a Comcast cable box, a SONOS Connect, and an Oppo UDP-203. Current speaker line-up includes six Salon2's and a Voice2.

I am currently in the process of installing height speakers (four Revel M80XC); probably be a bit yet. Have most of the pieces but getting mounts up and such is taking a lot of time. I had planned to do this last spring, then over summer, then finally during Thanksgiving week, but work intervened so when I finally got time off over Christmas I planned to install everything last week. Didn't happen though I made a start of it.

I had to pull several ceiling panels and reposition things; it is unfortunate that the recommended height positions conflict with first reflection points for the fronts and rears, so I'll see how it works out. I am also having second thoughts about the height amplifiers, a pair of Crown XLi800's. They were inexpensive, and way more power than I need for heights, but I am nervous about noise (hiss and fan) and lack of a trigger input. Reviews on the 'net have been mixed, and of course Amir did not recommend them for home use. They are still in boxes so I may ship them back and look at a four-channel class D amp, but OTOH may pull them out if I can get the speakers plumbed this weekend to try them out. The other smaller (lower-power) amps I found in the month or so before Christmas were all lacking in some way (and/or simply unavailable), and I did not really want to spend $2k or more for height speaker amps. I would like a trigger input, decently low noise since the speakers are close'ish, and only need ~100 W/ch. Thinking about a @Buckeye Amps 4-ch amp using P252 modules; that was actually my first choice, but they are not going to be available until later this month last I read, and at the time I was thinking I could get things up over Thanksgiving (ended up working every day that week including the weekend due to a last-minute crisis).

HTH - Don

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Of the ones listed above, I never heard the M2s (though heard 4367s very briefly), did hear Magnepan 3.6/3.7 (before the "i" version IIRC), never heard Salk, have heard Sanders (and many other) ESLs in the past but not recently, and was able to hear the Revel Studio, F208, and F206 at a local dealer (they did not have the Salon2 in stock that I recall). They were in different rooms, different electronics, etc. so direct comparisons were not made. I am familiar with and heard fairly recently (at that time) several B&W and Martin-Logan models plus a few others that did not stand out to me (e.g. Focal, pushed by a local dealer).
Sounds like we have somewhat slightly similar systems and goals with my current 5.2.4 using 4 JBL HDI-3600's, 1 HDI-4500, 4 Klipsch 500 overheads, and 2 HSU STU2's subs to be replaced or subplimented by 2 SVS-2000 subs using Audyssey XT32 + Editor app for control. Going to be a few fun nights coming up around here, SVS subs due here on Wed. :facepalm:

Top Bottom